Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Snack Time

I know… I’ve been here for 4 days and I haven’t written a thing. Take that as a good sign.

This first part of the trip is in Okinawa, where my college roommate and his wife live.

So far I’ve eaten a lot of cool food, and only once have I had something gross.

I’m willing to try most things, so last night at the minimart, I grabbed a bag of these things that looked like green stars. They felt like they’d have a bit of crunch to them.

We were pretty sure, although not positive, that we hadn’t grabbed a bag of cat food, so as we walked up the street and opened the bag, we decided we’d just pop a couple in our mouths.

Again, realizing we could have some sort of exotic pet food in our hands, we looked closely at the locals, to see if they were watching us in horror, or laughing their asses off at the stupid Americans who were about to eat Kibbles 'N' Bits.

Not seeing that, we each took a bite.

It’s interesting how the brain works when it comes to identifying tastes. When you bite into a piece of fish, even if you don’t know what kind of fish it is, you’re prepared for a fishy flavor. When it’s a fruit, your tongue is prepared for fruit.

We didn’t know what to expect, and it took several seconds to identify the flavor, and to determine that we really didn’t like it.

They sort of tasted like cheese puffs, with a sugary coating. The consistency was of old meringue. There was also a buttery feel. And maybe a hint of mint.

The rest of the bag is in the glove compartment. I figure if my hosts ever get stuck in the wilderness and need some food to survive, they’ll eat the leftovers.

No comments: