Tuesday, January 09, 2007

AFHV with TB is RFG

I never thought I’d say this out loud. In fact, I never thought it would be true. It goes against every bit of cultural snobbery in my blood.

But here goes. I will say it.

Really...

3...
2...
1

I love America’s Funniest Home Videos.

There, it’s out there.


I know, I know. I can hardly believe it myself.

Let me try to explain.

First of all, if the last time you watched the show was back in the Bob Saget days, you don’t know what you’re missing. I have nothing against Bob Saget, especially after his foulest of foul versions of the joke in The Aristocrats. Who knew the dad in Full House could think those things let alone say them on film? Still, when Saget hosted the show, it was corny, trashy, and I just couldn't find humor in fat people breaking park benches.

Bob Saget is gone from AFHV (that’s what those of us who are fans call it). Instead, there’s a new host in town.

His name is Tom Bergeron.

Somehow, he has made pictures of little kids driving their trikes into the swimming pool, skateboarders impaling themselves on parking meters and dads getting whacked in the balls breathtakingly funny.

Tonight was a Halloween rerun, but can you really see people wearing grim-reaper costumes scare the holy crap out of their grandmothers too often? Tom (he’s first name worthy) broke down several of the videos using a football-like telestrater and slo-motion. If you think Skeletor jumping out of the closet is funny in real time, just wait until you see the replay. Tom didn’t let even the most subtle nuance escape unnoticed.

Tonight I was talking on the phone to a reporter about her piece for our 11pm newscast. She heard the commotion in the background and could tell I was a bit short of breath myself. I told her I’d have to call her back.

“Breaking news?”

“No, no... It’s the guy shocking himself with the dog collar again!”

And I wonder why the field crews think they work harder than the rest of us.

1 comment:

Melissavina said...

I had no idea anyone else felt such warmth toward good old Tom B as I do! He's the best host on television by miles. He once said, in an interview, that he doesn't aspire to anything else. He just loves hosting and he'll do it forever.

That was good to hear. I'd just die if he tried to become an action hero.