Sunday, February 25, 2007

Award Night

I am not the first person to say this, so I’m not breaking any ground here. I just want to get on record.

To me the Oscars amount to this: over paid pretty people, who don’t work as hard as the rest of us, and have no sense of what the real world is like, patting each other on the back and congratulating themselves. They cheer and cry and make statements and look serious, as if they are as important as their paychecks are bloated.

I love movies.

I don’t think an actor who has worked 8 weeks on a film has any clue what he’s talking about when he says it was an exhausting project.

When an actress puts on 40 pounds for a role, a role that earns her more many than the average American earns in a lifetime, she is not courageous.

And then when I hear a star take the stage and make a political statement, I wonder, has he ever actually had to work an entire year with two weeks or less of vacation?

And let’s talk for a moment about the jewelry and the fashions.

Here are some of the people who can actually afford to buy obscenely priced clothes and necklaces.

But they don’t have to. No, they get them for free. They get so much for free that many stars have come to expect freebees wherever they go.

Recap: They make too much, they don’t have to spend it. Nice!

It’s all ok though, because they realize that part of the price they pay for their lives of glamour is treating fans well, knowing that they’ve given up their privacy, showing with their real-life actions that they’re good people.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Sorry, I had to throw some humor into this post. That’s a good one.

Back to reality.

I know, I’m painting in broad strokes here and there are exceptions. There are good people in Hollywood, smart people, caring and even real/realistic people.

But when I look at the Oscars, my first reaction is that I’m watching people who think they are worth the hype.

I just disagree.

And giving them more television time than the President does when announcing major world policy is just silly.

No comments: